Out of the Shadows – Changes
As promised in the Editor's Introduction to Out of the Shadows, we collected a list of corrections and amendments. All of the following were incorporated when we reprinted in 2011 (but we'd still like to hear of any more changes that need to be made, for when we reprint again):
- Page 1: "In 1977 the 3F group of LGCM celebrated its thirtieth anniversary." This should of course be "In 2007..." (the group was founded in 1977!)
- Page 28: insert "in the basement" before "at 5 Caledonian Road".
- Page 29: Add two new paragraphs before the final paragraph:
Unfortunately, by the end of 1973 GLF in London was showing signs of disintegrating. There was particular tension between the more conventional (organisation-minded) members who ran the office at 5 Caledonian Road and the more radical, rather anarchist, members who had set up the “Bethnal Rouge” commune at a bookshop cum warehouse in Bethnal Green. All-London monthly GLF meetings were still being held at the Conway Hall, but these just served to emphasise the disagreements and lead to more arguments, rather than finding common ground.
Events reached their climax in September 1973 when some members of the Bethnal Rouge “raided” the office at Caledonian Road and took away some of the materials there, claiming that they spoke for the true voice of GLF. (Gay News reported the incident and added that the South London group was now the only effective GLF group left in London). Feeling themselves almost literally under siege, in February 1974 those still manning the office decided to shut it down—although London Gay Switchboard may well have remained in the upstairs office at 5 Caledonian Road for some time after.
- Page 40: Leo Abse was of course a Labour MP, not a Tory MP.
- Page 41: The phrase "Error! Bookmark not defined" should have been removed.
- Page 58: the postal address for CAGS is now "3 Thanescroft Gardens, Croydon CR0 5JR".
- Page 68: "The Jewish Lesbian and Gay Group" should be "The Jewish Gay and Lesbian Group" - also on Page 226 and in the index.
- Page 77: "Stonewall Riots" should be "Stonewall riots" - also on Page132 and in the index)
- Page 85: "Alan Bloxidge" should be "Robin Bloxsidge" (and corresponding change to the index).
- Page 85: "Tom Bowbottom" should be "Tom Rowbottom" (and corresponding change to the index).
- Page 99: "Miriam Margolies" should be "Miriam Margolyes" (and corresponding change to the index).
- Page 101: "Streatham Area Gay Society (STAGS)" should be "Streatham Area Gay Group (SAGG)" (and corresponding change to the index). Also Page 224.
- Page 101: "Former members of STAGS" should be "Former members of SAGG".
- Page 112: delete "Geoffrey continues:" (and suppress the indentation of the following paragraph).
- Page 113: indent the paragraph at the very top of the page.
- Page 114: delete the exclamation mark at the end of the main heading.
- Page 117: replace the exclamation mark at the end of line 2 with a full stop.
- Page 118: "McEwan" should be "MacEwan" (and corresponding change to the index).
- Page 121: replace the exclamation mark at the end of line 4 with a full stop.
- Page 155: "pubic" should be "public". (!)
- Page 169: "(Stuart Draycott)" should be "(Stuart James)" (and corresponding change to the index).
- Page 169: "James as Treasurer" should be "James Farmer as Treasurer" (and corresponding change to the index).
- Page 173: "(Stuart Draycott)" should be "(Stuart James)" (and corresponding change to the index).
- Page 173: "South London Press" should be "South London Press" (italicised).
- Page 174: "his return" should be "my return".
- Page 174: "I'm currently" should be "I became".
- Page 174: after"Anti-Homophobic Forum)." insert "In addition, I am a founder member of the Goldies, an over-50s LGBT group supported by Age UK Lambeth.".
- Page 174: "his loft" should be "my loft".
- Page 175: "In 1976" should be "Around 1977".
- Page 193: "Royston Keen" should be "Royston Kean" (and corresponding change to the index).
- Page 194: the e-mail address for 3F is now "firstname.lastname@example.org".
- Page 209: replace SLG and 3F logos with newer versions as on this website.
- Page 226: delete "and for details of groups throughout London and the UK, see the Consortium of LGBT Voluntary and Community Organisations: www.lgbtconsortium.org.uk" and replace with "for gay groups throughout London see LGBT London www.lgbtlondon.com—and for LGBT history generally see the new wiki at www.lgbthistoryuk.org".
- A number of changes to index entries.
Thanks to those who pointed these out. We welcome further corrections and comments.